Tuesday, August 30, 2011

car issues

The last couple of days have been kind of rough. Both of our cars had something break on them at just about the same time. The first emergency was my radiator the Sunday before last. It cracked all the way down. It was so busted that it had to be replaced. What should I expect of a 93' Camry? Stuff is going to break after so long. It's bound to happen on a car that age. Lucky for us, radiators aren't terribly expensive. A couple hundred dollars later, I was back on the road.  It was only out of commission until last Monday afternoon.

Then, Chris' clutch started getting really bad on the Jetta. It hadn't been working properly for three or four weeks, but he noticed it was getting worse. We were hoping it would just need an adjustment and not a total replacement. However, the mechanic says it's totally out, so it's being replaced hopefully today. We dropped it off last Thursday night for them to look over it Friday and hopefully get it back as soon as possible. We had hoped that if it just needed an adjustment that we would get it back Saturday afternoon since they're open half a day on Saturday. Of course, with it being a total replacement, they had to order several parts, and it's going to be expensive to fix, but thankfully not quite as much as we had anticipated. I am thankful for a solid emergency fund and Chris' new job. The mechanic said we'd get it back by today at the latest. They had kind of hoped that they might it get back to us yesterday, but that didn't happen.

We're hoping this is the last major repair for a while. We've had some work done on Chris' car since he's had it the last three years, but most of it has always been voluntary maintenance type work. I guess that's kind of like preventative care. I don't recall many repairs being done on it because something was totally broken. Maybe my memory isn't the best when it comes to this stuff. He says it will drive like a dream when we get it back. I hope he's right!  

Sooo...I've been coming in to work at around 6:45 a.m. the last few days, and I've had to stay a little later than normal. Chris is dropping me off on his way out of town and rushing to get back to pick me up in the evenings. It's been rough. I am kind of exhausted, but we're making it work. I guess I didn't realize how big of an inconvenience it is to have car repairs done when one spouse has to be at work early in another county. It's not much fun. I am thankful it's only temporary and that even though both cars acted up in the same week, at least one has been in working order the entire time. When things like this happen it really makes you realize how dependent we all are on things to work correctly. God is teaching me patience and total dependence on him through this mini-trial. Maybe next week I can get some more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment