Monday, April 15, 2013

working and working

Today I figured out that since starting my very first job in June of 2001 at the age of 16, nearly 12 years ago, only a few weeks after getting a driver's license, I have never taken more than a couple of weeks off of work at once whether I had vacation time, sick time, holiday break or was transitioning to a new job. I am about to take off work for 12 weeks. I know being home with a baby will be hard work, but it's still strange to think that I've never been home that long before. Isn't that a strange thought? Or, maybe there's nothing interesting about this at all? I know people work for years and years, sometimes even all at the same place. I have to say that this did blow my mind a bit. I guess I am just getting older, so 12 years just sounds like a long time.

My dad was right when he was trying to get me to stop stressing out about finding my first job. I had just gotten my license, but had no job secured yet. He told me I had to work if I wanted to drive a car (to pay for car insurance and to save up for a better car), but not to worry or be in too big of a rush because once I had a job, I'd probably be working for most of the rest of my life! He was basically telling me that being a kid for a few more weeks wasn't going to kill me, and that it was probably a good thing to enjoy the little time I had left! I can see now that he was right!


2 comments:

  1. Ben is a smart guy. The question is will you hear him the next time he tells you something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am smart, I will at least consider that he is 28 years older than I am and could be right. Plus, he's my dad so he's probably not going to lie to me- at least not on purpose!

    ReplyDelete