Saturday, April 23, 2011

my pup, Penelope

Last weekend Chris and I went to pick up our new puppy. She's a miniature dachshund, or as some call them, wiener dog. She's a lot of work, but so much fun.

We had been talking about getting a dog for a while. Chris really, really wanted one, but he wouldn't agree to getting one until I wanted one too. Well, I finally came around to the idea a couple of weeks ago. From there, we just needed to decide what kind and where we could get one. We knew we wanted a girl dog (in hopes that she wouldn't pee on stuff once she's housebroken). We also knew we wanted a small one with a smooth coat so that grooming would be a little easier. Chris grew up with a mini dachshund, and he had a good experience with her. Therefore, we decided to go that route.

She's pretty sweet. I know it's a long road, but she seems to be catching on to going potty outside. She sometimes whines when you aren't paying attention to her, but she seems to be doing that less the longer we have her. She'll be seven weeks old on Monday. Cuddling and playing are her favorite things to do. She already knows "come." That's pretty good for her first week with us, right?

My favorite thing to work with her on is going into her crate. I tell her it's time for bed. Chris tells her in a sweet voice that it's time for "lockdown."



1 comment: