Saturday, October 9, 2010

chili cook-off

Last weekend my family got together for a chili-cook off and birthday party. Both my dad and stepmother had birthdays in September, so we thought we would all try to get together for a little party.  The chili cook-off started off as kind of a joke last year. My dad likes to think that he's the chili king, so my siblings and I thought it would be fun to challenge him in a chili cook off. We've been talking about it for a year, so we thought we'd finally put our chili where our mouths are. Or something like that. Unfortunately, my parents are on a special diet, which must be working because they've both seen some good results.  To supplement, they entered a special "healthy" chili. The first weekend of October proved to be a perfect time to have a chili cook-off. The weather was perfect. Fall was certainly present.

Chris and I must make some good chili. We finished in a tie with Jamie for "best overall."  However, there is no doubt in my mind that my dad or stepmother could have blown us both away if they weren't restricted to healthy ingredients. Since there was a tie for the win, (and we didn't exactly win my a landslide) Dad will remain the chili king for now. Jamie's facebook status that night summarized the day well: Five types of chili, crackers, cornbread, and chocolate cupcakes. Our chili cook-off was great! Can't wait to do it again.

Next challenge: Mexican dish- at the Carter's in February. I think we may have the advantage on this one.


Some highlights from the day:









No comments:

Post a Comment